Remembering our adventures

Remembering our adventures

This Summer flew by faster than a high-speed train. We crammed the holidays with all sorts of adventures, which made it the best time so far….the only problem is, so much happened that we seemed to live life in double speed. We blinked, and woke up in week three of termtime. And the holidays all seem so long ago now.

So, while the rain belts down outside, I thought I’d share a whistle-stop photo tour through those sunnier days, to remind myself that – yes – it did all happen.

Summer got off to a cracking (and scorching) start, with a long weekend’s glamping in a safari tent on the Isle of Wight. We lazed around near the tent and on the beach for most of our time, only scratching the surface of what the island has to offer.

safari tent

Raspberry picking in Kent was our first Summer holiday day-trip, and I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a grand British summertime activity. There’s more information about how to find a good picking spot in my post here.

The next big adventure was blissfully child-free: a hen weekend, in shepherd’s huts a stone’s throw from Bodiam castle, in East Sussex, UK. I’ll be posting about the huts soon. They were chosen because the bride-to-be loves it there so much; apparently it’s a perfect retreat for a snuggly Autumn weekend.

We spent a fair bit of time on London’s Southbank, where the children made badges at the Nation Under One Groove exhibition, and were fascinated by the skateboarders in their space under the Royal Festival Hall.

And we took our regular holiday trip to Leeds Castle. The admission ticket lasts the whole year so we’re trying to make the most of it. There’s always something interesting and new there; this time, we watched a falconry display.

Falconry display

We went to our first family festival, Green Man in Wales. And then, it was off to the Loire Valley in France, for a week with family, wine-tasting, cycling along the river, visiting Chateaux and, of course, splashing in the campsite pool (more on all that soon….)

swimming pool

I’m sure we’ll be off on more adventures before too long. But today it’s drizzly and for a bit of escapism, I’ve been leafing through travel pages… I do like the look of these last-minute cruises, to sunnier climes. Then there’s Norway and the Northern Lights, which is top of my travel bucket list for winter 2015/16. Or the Alps, Spain or Austria….

Where do you want to travel next?

This post was produced with thanks to associate companies. All views are my own.

1. September 18, 2015 / 9:50 am

There are so many! My daughter wants Iceland, my son Italy and I just love going to different places. Sounds like you did that this summer. Great stuff.

• September 22, 2015 / 11:34 am

Oooh, Iceland – now there’s a thought. Such incredible, otherworldly landscape…I haven’t been, but it’s very high up on my bucket list.

2. September 18, 2015 / 9:55 am

Such a lovely idea to capture it like this, I MUST! It all feels like lost of little adventures, last year I did a summer in stats, and it is so lovely to be able to look back isn’t it? I love the look of our summer, I could do with retreating to that Shepherd’s hut and I want to go to Norway too x

• September 22, 2015 / 11:33 am

Yes, Norway’s calling me…a good friend recently moved to Oslo and I’ve been salivating over his Instagram pics!

3. September 18, 2015 / 11:38 am

You’ve been busy! First time at a festival is such fun… and we went to France a year ago and loved it! Not tried your region though:-)

• September 22, 2015 / 11:32 am

I’d recommend the Loire. Quiet, peaceful, and with amazing wines!

4. September 18, 2015 / 1:32 pm

It sound like you had a wonderful summer, love the idea of this post 🙂

• September 22, 2015 / 11:32 am

Thanks. I may try and do more round-ups like these. I really enjoy trawling back through the memories…

5. September 18, 2015 / 2:02 pm

Raspberry picking was one thing we really wanted to do this Summer but never got around to it!

• September 22, 2015 / 11:31 am

It was a nice thing to do – the kids still talk about it now, even though we went back in July.

6. September 18, 2015 / 9:30 pm

What some amazing sounding adventures and some wonderful memories. x

• September 22, 2015 / 11:30 am

They were indeed!

7. September 19, 2015 / 8:08 am

Wow you did cram a lot in! I feel like this about our summer – blink and you missed it but it was such a lot of fun.

I love the variety your family did. I’m off to read more about the festival in Wales, that sounds right up my street.

Not long til half term! x

• September 22, 2015 / 11:30 am

Green Man was brilliant – perfect for kids, I’d say. We’re considering going back next year.

8. September 19, 2015 / 5:51 pm

Wow the safari tent looks amazing! I haven’t been to the isle of wight since my school days so definitely due a trip back

• September 22, 2015 / 11:25 am

The safari tent really was great. I’m dying to stay in one again (maybe when the weather’s a bit warmer, though!)

9. September 20, 2015 / 11:54 am

I can’t choose just one place as there are so many that I’d like to go to. I’d love to go to Central America but I need to persuade the restive the family about that! I like the sound of your shepherd’s hut break – I’m looking forward to reading about that.

• September 22, 2015 / 11:24 am

Gretta it was fab – and I think that Autumn would be the best time to visit the huts. Will post v soon!

10. September 20, 2015 / 7:21 pm

What a fun summer!! I am a bit sad that we didn’t get to go fruit picking this year but we had a jam packed summer too. Love the variety in everything you did. Where next? I have so many places spinning around my head….we’ll see!! 😉

• September 22, 2015 / 11:23 am

Can’t wait to find out!

11. September 20, 2015 / 8:45 pm

What a fun packed weekend. It makes me long for warmer summers. We had a quiet summer this year, but next year I am planning on packing in more and if this means that we have to leave the husbeast at home then so be it!

• September 22, 2015 / 11:23 am

I hope you manage to travel somewhere nice – I’ll look forward to reading about it too!

12. September 21, 2015 / 6:24 am

Looks like you had an amazing holiday – I would love to cruise down the Norwegian fjords too

• September 22, 2015 / 11:22 am

Ooh yes, that sounds amazing!

13. September 21, 2015 / 1:40 pm

Oh what a lovely post, so nice to see all your adventures in one post and a whole heap of sunshine! I love that first photo especially although the one of the Southbank made me smile. That skate park is deserted in the morning but so busy in the evening – love the contrast! We’ve travelled a lot but there are so many places we’d love to take POD to – California is up there as is the galapagos islands. I guess school holidays is going to be the biggest challenge now x

• September 22, 2015 / 11:21 am

Yes, I wish we’d travelled more in the pre-school years. I bet California would be an incredible place for kids to visit. Hope you manage to make it there – I’d love to see all your pics!

14. September 21, 2015 / 3:25 pm

This is an amazing place and looks like you all had so much fun! Such a shame weather this year wasn’t superb on my side 🙁

• September 22, 2015 / 11:16 am

Yes, for us too. I think we had the best of the weather before the holidays…

15. September 24, 2015 / 8:33 pm

Looks like you had some fab adventures, lovely photos.

16. September 28, 2015 / 6:39 pm

OOOh the adventures you had x Your pictures are utterly wonderful