A weekend in a Scamper Holidays shepherd’s hut at Llangennith, Wales

A weekend in a Scamper Holidays shepherd’s hut at Llangennith, Wales

Scamper Holidays are based on the Welsh Gower coast, which is in the south of the country, near Swansea. They have two sites: Rhossili bay, and Kennexstone campsite, which is near Llangennith, a beach frequented by surfers and dog-owners (you can walk pets there all year round, and the campsite is dog-friendly too).

We were keen to head to Wales this Easter, so I got in touch with Mark and Kathryn, the owners. They offered us a 4-person Llangennith shepherd’s hut. We arrived on a sunny afternoon to find Nutmeg, one of the two 4-person shepherd’s huts on the site, waiting for us.

Scamper Holidays

Glamping with kids can be tricky. The level of comfort and facilities varies dramatically from place to place. Some glamping units are nothing more than a tent with a comfy beds. Others go the whole hog, and include a fully fitted-out kitchen, heating, TV and even (gasp) a private loo. So it’s tricky to know what to pack.

Scamper Holidays

Our shepherd’s hut had a small kitchen: a sink, hob with one ring, a grill and a fridge.

One thing that impressed me about the Scamper Holidays website was that it included a long list of everything they provided, so there could be no doubt about what you needed to take. Washing-up liquid? Check. Torch? Check (although you might want to bring your own as well – the beam wasn’t very powerful on the Scamper torch). Kitchen utensils? Check. Barbecue? Check. Towels? Check.

Scamper Holidays

There was even a bottle of handwash, which is something I always forget when we’re camping/glamping.

Scamper Holidays

The kids were bursting with excitement when they saw our cute little hut. I’d say it was perfect for families with younger children (ours are 4 and 6 years old). They slept on little bunks over our double bed, and it was a cosy way for the family to spend three nights.

Scamper Holidays

If you have older, bigger kids – teenagers, for instance – and want more space, Scamper Holidays have larger glamping units. But our children loved the shepherd’s hut.

Scamper Holidays

Mark and Kathryn were warm and friendly, and this was reflected in the hut’s style and decor. We arrived to a welcome pack, with welshcakes, luxury toiletries from Myddfai, Scamper Holiday chocolates and a small bottle of fizz.

Scamper Holidays

Although glamping isn’t as comfortable as staying in a hotel or self-catering cottage – you’re still at the mercy of the weather – if it’s done right, it can feel super-luxurious. Plus you get to feel as though you’re right there in the middle of nature, which you don’t always get on a cottage break. Our shepherd’s hut had some thoughtfully chosen fittings, which made it feel homely, including a TV that played DVDs.

Scamper Holidays

The fan heater was cunningly disguised as a wood burner

Scamper Holidays

Nothing beats waking up in the morning to a stunning view, even on a rainy mornings (we had a couple of those, but also plenty of sunshine).

Scamper Holidays

The view from our window

Kennexstone campsite itself also had pitches for tents and caravans. It was tranquil when we visited, but I’m sure it would get very busy in the summer months. Llangennith is a popular beach; ideally you’d need a car to get there from the site, as it’s a 10-15 minute drive down windy roads without pavements. But this site is well-placed for stepping back from the Summer hubbub at the beach.Scamper Holidays

The toilet and shower blocks were (by night) a starlit stroll away – as I’ve mentioned, don’t forget your torch! They were impeccably clean (always a consideration when camping/glamping), and the shower water was toasty warm.

Scamper Holidays

one of the shower cubicles

There was a laundry/washing-up area, which we used when we had a bigger load of dishes to clean.

Scamper Holidays

Kennexstone campsite has a very small shop, with some basics (milk, gifts…and ice cream!).

Scamper Holidays

The Gower is a wild and beautiful, but accessible part of Wales. There are several companies offering outdoor pursuits to families with children slightly older than ours, including RipnRock and Gower Adventures. While we were staying with Scamper Holidays, we visited the Gower Heritage Centre, went wildlife-spotting, and visited some pleasant pubs. I’ll be posting about that soon, but in the meantime here’s a little video showing a 360 degrees view of the hut and our stay:

Scamper Holidays

A three-night weekend break in a Llangennith shepherd’s hut for four costs £250 in mid-April. Prices vary at other times of the year.

Getting there

Kennexstone campsite is located near Swansea, on the B4295. The closest major road is the M4.

We were invited to stay with Scamper Holidays for the purpose of this post. All views are my own.

1. April 15, 2016 / 6:34 am

It looks lovely, I can see the appeal and I don’t tend to go for camping. I like how you know exactly what’s included and everything looks clean and comfortable. Glad you enjoyed it.

April 15, 2016 / 10:59 am

Yes, although the hut was smaller than a self-catering cottage, it was so much more comforatable than a camping experience.

April 15, 2016 / 10:57 am

It was a really cute little hut!

2. April 15, 2016 / 1:45 pm

This looks like a wonderful place to stay. I like the fact that you know exactly what is and isn’t provided before you get there.

April 19, 2016 / 10:12 am

Yes, that really helped with packing. It was a fun experience all round.

3. April 16, 2016 / 8:23 pm

Oh this looks just adorable, I have never camped and am not brave enough, but galloping is something I may one day dare to do. It looks so cute and I love that is has all you could possibly need x

April 19, 2016 / 10:13 am

Glamping’s a good thing to try, at least once. You don’t have the comforts of a hotel or selfcatering place, but it’s so much easier to get a good night’s sleep than in a tent!

4. April 19, 2016 / 12:08 pm

Looks fabulous! Happy to hear that you had a wonderful time. I’ve never been glamping – but might be tempted to try it out just the once to see how we get on.

April 19, 2016 / 8:09 pm

It’s not for everyone, admittedly. But you have to try everything once – at least, that’s my motto!

5. Helen Wills
    April 19, 2016 / 12:52 pm

Oh that hut is so cute! I adore the bed setup and the kids would too. Hopefully no-one rolled out of bed though!

April 22, 2016 / 10:34 am

Ha ha we were slightly concerned about that. Our two are heavy! The bars on the sides of the bunks stopped them from rolling onto our heads though…

6. April 25, 2016 / 4:26 pm

So cute, and I think a lot of people dream of a weekend away in these gorgeous little shepherd’s huts!
    #MondayEscapes

April 28, 2016 / 8:52 pm

It’s easire than they think – there are so many cropping up around the place now.

7. April 25, 2016 / 7:51 pm

I love how the hut has been decorated – light colours and so pretty. And how brilliant they gave you a proper inventory in advance: makes all the difference.
    #mondayescapes

April 28, 2016 / 8:53 pm

The decor was gorgeous. Very homely and jolly!

8. April 25, 2016 / 8:19 pm

Oh wow this looks amazing. We used to camp but lately we have just been going glamping. We would love it there as my husband is from just outside Swansea and he tells me the gower is just stunning. I will definitely keep this in mind for the summer x

April 28, 2016 / 8:53 pm

You MUST go to the Gower. It’s an incredible place.

9. RobRob @TravelLatte(.net)
    April 27, 2016 / 4:38 am

That Shephard’s Hut is adorable! In our area, ranchers and farmers who came to town once a week – for supplies and church – stayed in something similar called a Sunday House. There is a Sunday House B&B not far from us, but it does not have that beautiful countryside just out the door! #MondayEscapes

April 28, 2016 / 8:57 pm

How fascinating! I was trying to explain to my children why it was called a shepherd’s hut. I don’t think they completely grasped my meaning, but I was glad it made them think about different ways of living. Thanks for sharing your own local version – I love to hear about variations across the world!

10. April 27, 2016 / 2:27 pm

That welcome pack looks fabulous, way better than some luxury hotels and what a lovely touch. I love the idea of staying in a shepherd’s hut. I think we’d need something bigger for our family though. #MondayEscapes

April 28, 2016 / 9:00 pm

It would’ve been a bit squished if our children were older, but if it’s summer and the weather’s fine, I suppose you’d be outside a lot of the time anyway. You never can tell with Wales, though!

11. May 1, 2016 / 8:39 am

The hut is fabulous, love the decoration and how well everything fits in. We went glamping in a yurt a couple of years ago and it was fabulous until it rained – then it flooded! So I’m a little wary of glamping in general and tend to stick to our trusty tent but I’d be tempted with a (hopefully watertight) hut. #Mondayescapes

May 2, 2016 / 5:17 pm

This hut was raised above the ground, so there was no danger of flooding. It did wobble around a bit when Storm Katie hit, though! Luckily it was sturdy enough to keep us safe through the night though. 🙂

12. May 2, 2016 / 4:56 pm

Gosh, that’s a clever arrangement of beds. I love the range that’s available for the post-camping generation. This would definitely make my list!

13. May 2, 2016 / 6:41 pm

I love the idea of staying in a shepherds hut. I’ve heard such great things about the Gower coastline – it sounds like a lovely place to visit #MondayEscapes

May 9, 2016 / 12:32 pm

The shepherd’s hut was a fun place to stay indeed 🙂

14. May 6, 2016 / 8:45 am

Oh Nell, Nutmeg is so cute and gorgeous. I really think I would love to stay here! I’m not a huge fan of camping and haven’t even braved glamping as yet but to hear Scamper have fairy liquid and clean washing facilities has me very interested. I think you’re right, it’s always weather dependent but I’m glad you had glorious weather – the views are lovely! Thanks for linking up with #MondayEscapes