In just over a week we’ll be heading off for the Austrian alps, on a family ski trip to Saalfelden Leogang. While excitement’s mounting about our first time on the slopes together as a family, D and I have made double-sure we have everything we need for healthy travel. Skiing can be a risky business.
Our son has mild asthma, so we’ve always needed to carry plenty of inhalers, so that they can be put into pockets and bags when we’re out and about. I usually visit the local GP to top up our supplies before we leave.
I’m quite used to spotting the early signs of an asthma attack, but before we go I also try and gen up on any common ailments that are specific to the areas we’re visiting (without becoming too much of a ‘cyberchondriac’, of course). Although some google searches can be misleading, there are a few sites you can trust, like LloydsPharmacy Online Doctor, which has a wide range of information on everything from how to spot frostbite (hopefully not an issue with the toasty new ski gear the kids will be wearing), to malaria symptoms explained (again, something I’m sure won’t be a problem in the Alps!).
One thing I will be looking out for is midge repellent. We’ve just had confirmation that we’ll be spending three weeks in Scotland over the summer. I want to keep those pesky little biters at bay! Can anyone recommend a good repellent for Scottish midgies?
Here’s a checklist that I’ve put together, of some basics.
Basic healthy travel kit
- wound-cleaning wipes or gauze
- sterile dressings
- bandage tape
- suncream and other sun protection
- sunburn treatment (yes, even in the Alps…..especially in the Alps, in fact)
- insect repellent
- insect bite treatment
- medication for pre-existing medical conditions – for us, this is our son’s asthma
- EHIC cards – ie, European Health Insurance Cards, which allow EU nationals to access healthcare in an EU country outside of their own. It’s not clear what will happen after Brexit. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see
- Travel insurance documents
Please do shout if there’s anything else you think I should add to the list.
This is a collaborative post. All views are my own.