#CulturedKids October 2017

#CulturedKids October 2017

Is anyone here a fan of Kazuo Ishiguro? He’s one of my all-time favourite novelists, and I was so pleased to hear that he has won the Nobel Prize for Literature. The Remains of the Day is the book that all the news articles mentioned, but others have made a bigger impression on me. I remember chortling at passages in The Unconsoled, and aching with melancholy after reading A Pale View of Hills. Ishiguro is one of my go-to novelists, who I can rely on to help me see the world in a different light.

Speaking of books, October seems a good month for cosying up with a novel. As fortune would have it, I was asked to test out BookBeat, an audiobook service that gives unlimited listening for a monthly fee. Looking back, I also wrote about our last outing of the summer holidays: to London’s Museumland, where we managed to visit both the Science Museum and the V&A.

If you’ve come here for the #CulturedKids link-up, head over to Catherine’s Cultural Wednesdays, as she’s hosting this month. There, you’ll find my post on the London museums, as well as a host of other ideas for cultural fun with kids.

Speaking of which, I can’t leave without giving my favourites from last month’s #CulturedKids community. They really were a fine bunch.

If you’re a history buff, you’ll enjoy reading about Plutonium Sox‘s trip to Warwick Castle, where Nat and her family stayed overnight in a medieval-style lodge.

Warwick Castle

Picture copyright Plutonium Sox

Mum’s Gone To visited Bletchley Park, and learned more about the lives of the codebreakers who helped put an end to WWII.

And Oregon Girl Around the World piqued my interest after my recent trip to Oslo, Norway. She wrote about the Kjerringøy Trading post, in the far north of Norway, where fishermen in the 1800s and 1900s traded their catch for supplies and amenities.

Kjerringøy Trading post

Picture copyright Oregon Girl Around the World.

What have you been up to this month? I’m looking forward to reading all your posts, over on Catherine’s Cultural Wednesdays. November’s #CulturedKids will be back here on the Pigeon Pair and Me, on Friday 3rd.

• October 6, 2017 / 11:34 am

I need to get myself up north the next time I visit!

1. October 6, 2017 / 11:28 am

Aww thanks so much for the mention. We loved Warwick Castle, such a fabulous day out. I’m not sure I’ve got anything to link up this month but I’ll have a look. If not, I’ll be back next time I write something relevant!

• October 6, 2017 / 12:04 pm

It’s always lovely to have you, Nat! x

2. October 22, 2017 / 9:40 pm

Ishiguro fascinates me – I find myself thinking often of Never let me go for mysterious reasons but his Buried Giant failed to do the trick…I reckon I am much more a Murakami person 😉 And fully agreed this cold windy October is perfect to curl up with a blanket and a book!

• October 26, 2017 / 1:31 pm

I really, really loved Murakami, but after reading a few of his books, I just got tired of him. It happened when I started reading one (I can’t remember which) and just thought, “I do not want to read another book about a middle-class man who makes fun of fat women, likes jazz, and has mysterious things happen to him.” I wish I could go back to being interested in his books. Maybe I’ll read another one someday.

• November 1, 2017 / 11:58 am

I agree, Never Let Me Go is one of those heart-rendin stories that stays with you.

3. October 26, 2017 / 1:27 pm

I love Never Let Me Go. I need to watch that film again. Thanks for the reminder!

• October 26, 2017 / 1:29 pm

I found out it was also a book after I watched the movie. I was afraid I would be disappointed by watching the movie first, but I wasn’t at all. It was nice to read about little details that I didn’t know before. Then I watched the movie again and noticed things that I didn’t notice before.

• November 1, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I watched the film first, too. It was very well done, and made the book even more haunting when I came to read it.