Do you love to travel? And is a trip not complete until you’ve jotted down your memories of the place you visited? Then read on. Travelex and Penguin are looking for the next great travel writer. It could be you.
It’s a tight turnaround – the deadline is a minute before midnight this Sunday, 5 February 2017. But if you’re inspired to write a short story of up to 1,000 words before then – or if you already have one tucked away in a drawer, waiting for the right opportunity – the moment is now.
Here are the prizes:
- As well as £1,500 the winner will get a money-can’t-buy one hour session with a Penguin editor, packed with top tips, feedback on your work and advice on how to make it as a writer
- There’s an additional bonus £500 prize for the best entry by a current university or college student
- The general public will have the chance to vote for their favourite travel writer as well. A set of beautiful Penguin books will be awarded to the person who, from the judges’ shortlist, gets the most tweets supporting their entry (including the writer’s unique hashtag, the TravelexUK twitter handle and the hashtag #NGTW)
So, if you enjoy writing and want to fancy yourself as the next Patrick Leigh Fermor or Freya Stark; if you’re bursting to tell the world that tale of how romance briefly blossomed on the pulsing hot sands of a Greek Island, or of the relentlessly delicious meal served up to you by Berbers in Morocco’s Atlas Mountains, then visit the Travelex travel writing competition website to find out more, and to submit your entry.
I know I’ll be getting my writing head on between now and then. This is too good an opportunity to be missed….
More on the competition
Travelex have handpicked five top judges from the worlds of travel and publishing to help choose the winner. They’ll be on lookout for style, flair and travel panache.
- This piece needs to be unique to the competition, which means you can’t submit something you’ve published elsewhere
- Travelex are looking to showcase the talent of aspiring writers, young or old. If you’re already paid to write about travel, then this isn’t the competition for you
- You can only enter once – so take your time before submitting your entry
- Entries close at 11:59PM (GMT) on 5th February 2017 – Travelex will not accept anything submitted after that date
- You have to be over 18 and a UK resident to enter (exc. Northern Ireland)
- Students can win the main prize. However, if a student is awarded the main prize, then the runner up in the student category, as decided by the judges, will be awarded the student prize
I was sponsored to write and promote this post on the Pigeon Pair and Me. Although I think this travel writing competition is awesome, I bear no responsibility for its outcome. Any queries about the competition itself should be sent directly to Travelex.